Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yo, can you see?

For the past two articles that I've written some of you might have the impression that I've been singing the praises of America too much. In some ways I was because I believe in seeing the beauty in everything. This doesn't mean though that I'm unaware of the muddier state of this side of the world.I believe I have mentioned from time to time the excessive waste in paper. Sure, recycling is somehow advocated as seen in the garbage system but in my opinion, paper use here could improve.
It's really a general wastefulness that I'm not fond of.Even the most wasteful filipino here in the States is still frugal in nature. I've lived with well to do or better off Pinoys (those in the medical field) and they can't get out of the habit of washing plastic utensils and ziploc bags for reuse.They also are conscientious about how electricity is used although the water part has somehow gone unnoticed. This part is interesting since parts of the Philippines still don't have access to clean water. Even as a kid I remember experiencing water shortage in our area. Not sure how other people were but bubble baths weren't the norm in the Philippines. I'm guilty of having lavish baths for Sophia for a period of time but now we're doing the old fashioned "tabo."My daughter doesn't like me to say that she's going to have a shower, she says "only tabo." That only means I use a small container to get water from a small pail and use it to give her a bath. Urban dictionary mentions tabo as a bucket used for washing the ass(which I've taught Sophia...well, right now we still have to do it for her...that is wash her with water after "number 2)"
I believe I've mentioned also the squandering when it comes to food. This is a total hole in the head since even here what we often called in the Philippines "the modern Canaan with the greener pasture where there's milk and honey," many go hungry. You could see the bright side by mentioning the "soup kitchens" that many institutions(churches are in the forefront)advocate but that only means that there are many people here who are jobless, homeless and eventually go hungry. I've met people who know which days that the surrounding churches have for "free food distribution." It's a good thing that groceries like Ralph's, Trader Joes and such donate bread and other stuff for these church distributions but remember my daugther's preschool?A total waste of food everyday.Kids that they are, they don't eat much and therefore there's always food that go to waste. The teachers tell the parent volunteers that whatever the kids don't finish need to be thrown. One of the Filipina moms and I got to talking about this and how it's hard to teach your kids to finish their food at home when they're taught something else in school.
Back to the homeless people here, this must be hard to imagine for my "kababayans," but it's a sad thing that hunger is not monopolized by Africa or other poor countries like the Philippines. I've tried to do my part at times but I have my biases. Let me tell you why. First one is my experience with an old lady...I would always see her sleeping outside the bench near the park where we used to live. For some time I would run out and give her food(that time I only had maybe 3 irregular students), I would even microwave the meal before I gave it to her. But after I saw her smoking I stopped. Then not so long ago I was asked for money by this person(a bum would probably be a better description), I remember having given him a bill that was larger than what he was asking for. This was after I brought my, then two kids, to Burger King. Since we were close to BK and it was early morning, I thought he was going to get some food.He probably recognized me the second time when I was walking with my mom and two kids(with the baby on the way) and asked for a dollar. We had gone to Walgreens to get some diapers I suppose but it was too early so we headed out to CVS which is a bit more of a walk than Walgreens. To my utter disappointment, this guy who had just asked me for money was trying to get beer. It was an awkward feeling for me to be right behind him in line and the cashier was telling him he didn't have enough cash. I wish he saw me with my stone faced glare at him. I couldn't help but say out loud that I wouldn't dish out money to help someone's vice or maybe addiction. I guess my mom was the only one who heard that since loud for me is pretty much natural tone of voice for most.
Some extravagance I can forgive occasionally (celebrations like birth-days,weddings and such) but it still has to be within the person's budget. Now, I would have no idea if I were just a guest to some event but I personally would not spend so much...I guess despite my dad's impression that I spend a lot on eating out(I try to take my kids to something like Chowking or Jollibee once a week) I still think I am within my limits. If I earned more I still wouldn't double my trips for eating out although at times, for picky eaters like my daughter, buying something takes the stress out of feeding her. You just don't feel like cooking all the time,you know?
When it comes to money I am strict...at least I try to be especially when it comes to spending. Sure, I try not to make the same standard for others but if they end up asking for money...let's just put it this way, I work hard for the money that I have and it isn't much, I would like then to spend it wisely. Unless it is a life or death situation then it must be for something that is not a basic need.
Yes, I don't need surveys to tell me that finances is one of the primary issues that couples face or fight over. That brings me back to this country's budget crisis. The truth is I'm not big in trying to understand the details of government or political issues. I believe though that it's much better to spend on health-care than to spend it for war. It's an honor to be in the military and a great service to the country but I'd rather fight for diseases and such than causes that affect hundreds in a way where they lose their lives from gunfire or bombs.
I can't say much about this issue on health care reform and the war but I have personal experiences when it comes to credit cards. It's common knowledge here that before a student finishes college he or she already has so much debt. I've become more careful and discerning of advertisements that tell you you'll get a free trial or something free. Hear all that zero percent APR? or that $10 a month promo? Well, you've got to be aware that it's probably good for only a few months then you'll have to pay a much higher price.It's annoying why answering machines are not so much in use in the Philippines but then you cut down on all these tele-marketing messages that is prevalent here. Caller ID is very useful here but sometimes they still get me...those pinoy telemarketers that want you to switch to their company and use their service for calls you make to the Philippines. I wonder if these companies are truly Pinoy or they're just the ones who do the hard work. I'm aware that call centers in the Phillipines handle costumer service for many companies abroad. Anyway, I hope our Pinoy eldery ones are not among those whose life-savings have been depleted from credit card transactions. I also know about repossesion of houses...and personally I know about car repossesion. But then I know that it was never mine in the first place so they should just call it something else.
" Jose can you see???...the land of the freeeeee...and the home of the brave?"Bravery. US has some Messiah complex...helping out their "brown brothers" and trying to advocate this democracy in other countries. I don't want to elaborate on this ...out of fear but I will make a statement on the sad state of education. Not about how teachers are not doing their jobs but about how a great percentage don't learn how to read, write...and how getting a high-school dimploma seem to be "good enough." I don't have the best penmanship nor do I have a great hold of the english grammar or vocabulary but even the most intelligent people here ...ok,ok, maybe that puts into question how important those are. Well, having good handwriting skills or writing in general doesn't assure you of a successful career. It doesn't have anything directly related to money especially when we're more into computers and what with the "spell-check" feature.Can't quite get my thoughts on this one right now but I can safely say that more Asians or those with immigrant parents are those who succeed in school. The wave of music students in Juilliard when it comes to violin students can attest to this. Music, music supplies, musical instruments, music teachers are more accessible here but it must be the overload that kids get here that makes them lose their focus in school.
Well, this is all from my perspective as a woman, a mother...that is if that will explain anything to you since I'd rather have my writing simply read as something written by a person who has a personal view of America from her small place in Merton Ave. Hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment