Tuesday, March 2, 2010

America the Booty-full: a reflection on current events and my life

“From see to shining see!” That’s no mistake on my part…it’s just that I see things differently now after close to octo-years of being here in America. What can I say? Got three lovely kids, still love to write about this place I now call home.
Let’s start with how I used to think how special students (not special needs students but how special, pause, students) get treated here because they get all these acceptance letters and other welcome brochures from their school compared to how we had to go over UP (university of the Philippines) and check out to see if our names were included on the list of passers- those who qualified to be in College. Of course I had come in via audition process so maybe those who got in by acceptance got some lovin’ oh well. But get this…I didn’t really understand what junk mail was because anything the mailman brought in to our home back in Manila was special. Here…I used to painstakingly check out everything…now, I don’t feel bad about throwing stuff and not even reading. Most of the time you just look out for bills, your bank transactions that need to be mailed--like credit cards and your pin—or purchases you made online. There’s too much wasted paper still…yaiks! At least now that my daughter is into drawing and writing stuff she uses our scratch paper so she somehow knows how important it is not to waste paper.
Today, I was reminded by my hubby about how something so simple like the hand sign of the letter “L” could be read differently depending on the person’s background. Here it’s more a sign for “Loser” while back in the Philippines it’s “Lában” which I had to explain translates to “Fight.” Yes, I did some more explaining that it was also the party name used by the late former President, Corazon Aquino, who was the first woman president of the Philippines.
Later on my dad and aunt got into a discussion about the healthcare reform that President Obama is promoting. I was mostly a spectator of sorts but from my personal experience I can say that America has been great so far and there’s nothing wrong in trying something new to see if it can even be better. If not for medi-cal I don’t know how I could’ve had any health-care for my three pregnancies. With my last one I even got pregnancy related dental care. Not only do my kids have health care and dental care there’s also WIC (Women Infant and Children) that provide assistance by giving not only checks for some grocery stuff (milk, eggs, cheese, beans, juices, tuna, carrots, butter, cereal and fruits) but they also give support, advice, and they teach mothers about their health during and after pregnancy; just to mention a few. Shortly before I gave birth I also took advantage of two free classes. First one was for expectant mothers and the other for school preparedness for toddlers. Both were done in the convenience of our place, which was my option. I haven’t even mentioned the preschool my daughter got to attend. It was for free and lunch was even provided. Of course I just happen to be low-income , but what assistance would I have received in the Philippines?
Looking back to what the Philippines might have offered me…I don’t know. I watch the news more often now since my older brother came here and I’m just appalled that nothing has changed. And it’s sad that my dad says the political situation has been the same for far much longer than I think or know. Maybe things aren’t as bad now…my always positive aunt who came to visit recently says that things are better now. But I have so much resistance whenever my hubby says, “Why not just move back to the Philippines?” Of course I have more personal reasons than just political things. (Pardon my use of that word “just” but you have to understand my small world with three kids in tow) He might be tickled by the idea of having house help and cheaper houses but it is one thing to visit and another to live in a foreign country (Philippines would be the foreign one now). Can’t imagine how I’d feel now since a 2 month visit here back in 1996 gave me these reactions: “What’s with the traffic!!” and “Look at all the filth!”
Don’t get me wrong. We have traffic here, heavy traffic but not traffic jams or standstills like there is in Manila. There are also filthy parts here in Los Angeles but on the up side, the Philippines has breathtaking beaches that the ones around here cannot compare.
Of course, as adaptable as I am I have to think about my kids now. Sure winter can get harsh at times and summer as well (talk about weather!) but hey, did I tell you I love the local public libraries here, the farmer’s market and the parks??? I’m not even comparing the whole US of A it’s just California (CA) or let’s say just Los angeles or even my small Eagle Rock area. I think that’s fair enough since the whole Philippines is just about the size of CA. Back in Manila I can only remember Rizal Park. Here, within a 10 mile radius there are at least 5 parks (about double that for churches) that my kids can go to. When I think of the market we used to go to in Balintawak it reminds me of filth and foul odor (I guess those two somehow go together). Here, when I hear “farmer’s market” I think of free tasting of fresh, better tasting fruits (compared to most grocery produce), fun time for kids, kiosks of tempting food and just a great community feel.
I won’t mention personal experiences of my family that included theft/robbery in the PI (Philippine Islands) but just what’s up with that when it’s known to be this big time Catholic country? Oh, we do have problems here around the area. Gangs, and not so long ago, a car accident that hit closer to home…not alcohol related I believe but racing that took the life of 3 teenagers. Car accidents can get really bad here because of the high speed on freeways but just as common are vehicular accidents, here come the fire-storms that are so much part of the summer season that at times you forget the seriousness until it hits closer. I can only recall at least two incidents of fire in Manila but it had to do with either electrical wiring stuff or some accident. Those were close to home so maybe I just wasn’t as aware about what went on around me. I was a happy, oblivious school and relationship focused person who concerned herself with a much specialized community-the Adventist community and the music community. Maybe so, but I really don’t think we had massive firestorms since weather back home (ah, yes it is still my home) was very muggy or humid. I really didn’t know about that until all this dry CA weather got me to using some lotion. Lotion that we got tons of from my grandparents back here that I never really understood why they would send such useless stuff to us in Manila, that is, until I came here.
My day drew to a close --can’t really say it has ended can I? Since, I’m still writing at this late hour-- with me and my two kids walking back and forth to the mall to spend some time at Chuck E Cheese’s. Oh boy, I tell you, once you have kids you learn to speak up and stop being shy about many things. That topic is for another essay.
Lest I forget, one of the great prides of America, it’s the men and women in uniform. I can say that there is a high regard for those in the military and the law-enforcement here. I don’t remember having the same feeling for the Philippine counterpart. At least I didn’t see much of it like how I’ve witnessed it here. I’m pretty sure as small as my world was I would’ve noticed something like that.
So, I must close and simply pray: “America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control
Thy liberty in law!”
To my country, the Philippines, I hope to be pleasantly surprised to find great things besides humongous malls and better dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment