Tuesday, March 2, 2010

California: My home sweet home!

To some of you California has been Gaylifornia because of the state's approval of gay marriages only to be turned over by Proposition 8 this past election. To me, it has become home. I still get a little choked-up though during Memorial day/veteran's day (can't seem to get the other holidays straight) when we sing "God Bless America." I'm not complaining much about winter now since I'm inside the house most of the time with the kids. But I must say that these four seasons is fun. You have something to look forward to...like spring :)

Let me tell you a little bit more about this place that I now call home. With my two lovely kids this holiday season was a blast. October we had Halloween, and as you may know Sophia and Elisha went trick-or-treating. It was Sophia's first time and she wore a Snow White costume that was handed down to her by a friend. Thanksgiving followed along with a bit less "family" this year since, after our church obligations (the two that mom and I serve in), we only met with the Coos, my dad's side of the family. Ah then there was Christmas...yes I have been decorating since my daughter was born in 2005. This time we had our quick stop over with the Coos and then off to Riverside with our Arevalo side of the family, mom's side.
Besides all the food and gifts, this year it was extra Merry Christmas to Angelenos because the LA Lakers won! 2009. New Year. What do we have? Yes there was still tons of food despite the economic crisis. We did more visiting with our elderly friends/relatives. What else do we have during this time of the year? We have the Rose Parade (lots of spectacular floats that utilize flowers and what-not…this year's theme was "Hat's off to Entertainment") and for the Tournament of Roses USC/the Trojans won! So, again we had an extra Happy New Year.
I did forget to mention the Annual Parade of the stars during Christmas and all the stuff that Hollywood brings to us whether through TV or Movies...Ah, yes we have those Award shows and shows that we look forward to that also start their new Season. But you know what? We have a new President that we're proud of and even though we have a bit of an economic problem that might affect even the tax returns (not sure about the terminology). There is so much to look forward to. And I'm in for another Season in my life.
Yes, I could look at the unpleasant stuff and disappointments that I've faced or will be facing but I must say that I'm quite happy with life. I'm happy about my little place here where I feel that I am doing my part in my own community and have two kids that are bringing so much joy in my life.
Yes, I feel more at home here now that I have been here in CA for 5 years (that includes my year here as a student). I can recognize freeways now; I've become more proficient with online stuff (Amazon, ebay and Craigslist). But I think when you start getting comfortable with your station in life; there comes this big wave that topples you over. It could feel like a big Tsunami that Floods your life but it also sometimes crashes in as a Tornado, or an earthquake; and at times it's this unpredictable fire storm that consumes you.
I had put this writing aside thinking that I don't know how to write what's really in my heart … when just the other day we had another earthquake. The kids were asleep and I realized later on upon watching the news that it was actually in San Bernardino 4.5 but I felt it here despite the long distance. Just imagine what a more intense earthquake would be like. Now, I’m just writing not even to express what seismic events go underneath me but to make me realize how much more there is to be thankful for.
This past week Sophia went back to school, our students had their regular lessons and I rehearsed with the Fil-Am Symphony Orchestra. I have a couple more performances (not that it ever ends) before I have another baby and…oh boy! Or simply, I’ll have another boy! Not sure how I'm going to deal with things this year. But I still don't give a heck over Credit Scores and such even though it affects a person's purchasing power. I still don't make a big fuss out of appearances (despite having been here in Botox-nation or Prozac to some). But, I must tell you how I love my little area here in Eagle Rock where I can walk to the Public Library, Farmer's market, and all the small stores surrounding our area. We also have an annual Music festival where whole blocks of our streets are closed down for musicians and what-not. Oh, some of you also know how I also walk with my kids to the mall close by where we have Chowking and Jollibee...of course the Seafood city where I get my pinoy junk food (unless we want to go to the Vietnamese store by car where it's cheaper).Goldilocks is also around, as well as Red Ribbon...there's also a place where you can borrow pinoy movies. Did I tell you that Barrio Fiesta is also around the corner alongside other pinoy eateries?
Ah, yes this is home mostly because my family is here and I see a lot of Pinoys. Despite how some fear the constant encounter with fellow pinoys, I revel in it. Besides, sometimes even people who live with you, you hardly see them. There is no such thing as too many relatives or what, because I must tell you that if not for all these festivities, I probably won't be seeing most of my relatives unless there is a wedding or funeral.
So, to all of you out there who can't seem to find themselves; or can't find a place where they can be a part of (in its full sense) I encourage you to make your little place in this world home...at least for now. "Until then" when we shall all meet our Maker and the puzzle of our lives will finally make sense.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, write up Cecille. I feel the same way about Glendale. I'm loving this place more. I too am transplanted from San Diego and took me awhile to know where everything is. But, now that my kids are a little grown and I'm managing the battle of the bulge from all the babies that I carried and gave birth to, I am truly loving Glendale and everything that it has to offer. From Museums to the beach, to hiking places, the many parks and of of course the libraries, I really love this place and find it perfect to raise my little and not so little ones. Allan loves this place as well. After our trip to Oshkosh with Pathfinders and seeing 19 States in less than 18 days, he declared Glendale, California as his home. Yeay!!! It is nice to be home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i think i'm more of an eagle rock person though :)

    ReplyDelete