Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Teaching Violin

Just had to wipe off drool on this laptop from my baby who's now taking a nap. I missed his doctor's appointment yesterday...yup, my baby number three. Such is my life as a mom...forgetting things! So, before I forget what I thought of writing while trying to nap with my little one, I'm writing it down while the thoughts are still fresh in my head.

You see, I had a great violin lesson with my daughter last night. She came to me and asked to have violin lessons. She's turning 5 in July and we've had on and off lessons but lately she's been really doing well. I suppose having young beginners as students has caught her interest. She knows all the Twinkle Variation rhythms on the open A and E strings and we've started long bow strokes in preparation for the theme. Of course bow hold and violin posture is not up to par but I was amazed at how fast she's learning.

Having taught violin since 1994 I've had students ranging from 4 to 84. Recently my students took their CM(certificate of Merit) exams and did surprisingly well. I mean, of course I wanted them to do well but being the teacher that I am, I always see something that could be improved upon.

But that's not what I thought of writing. I wanted to share unforgettable moments that made me laugh as a teacher. But first let me tell you how my love of teaching began. In the summer of 1995, while I was taking my BM, my violin professor then asked me to teach for the music extension program of our College. That was the first time I really enjoyed teaching ... I didn't have schoolwork to think of and I didn't feel like I should be the one practicing instead of teaching violin basics to others.You see, teaching in Cavite felt more like a chore or obligation or a mission which I had to do.

In UP,while teaching that first summer, one of my adult beginners(a guy), whose name I surprisingly still remember, was concentrating so much in his playing that drool came out from his mouth and onto his violin. Yaiks! Must be one of his embarrassing moments.

Now my mom can't remember who it was(whether it was me or my brothers) but while having violin lessons in this small room at the music studio we studied at when we were kids, this foul odor came out of you-know-where and so Mrs B, our violin teacher, took out her perfume and started spraying.My experience with a student,on the other hand went beyond foul odor...one had constipation...nah, i didn't perform any weird maneuvers.I had my dad around to help assist but I think nature made its way.

My travels back and forth from Cavite(where I taught from 94 until before leaving for the US) to Manila on Sundays were very memorable as well. I did have some weird students. Maybe just peculiar ones since I just didn't quite understand their motives in doing certain things that weirded me out.

On the other hand I also met some students who've become friends. Others, I wish I'd kept in touch with. And still others I simply cherish for allowing me to have been part of their lives. Sadly, I'm already having trouble remembering all the names of my past students. I remember faces, I even remember pieces they asked me to teach them.

Teaching here in the US has been quite a different experience though.
Being in a position where I was already turning down teaching positions and having only select students take private lessons at home (back in the Philippines). It was a struggle to start again. While studying,(in Riverside and Michigan) my students were scarce. Besides, many prefer teachers who drive to their place. So I had a student whose mom picked me up from my aunt's (in Riverside) who incidentally still has one of my violin books.In Michigan, it was a bit intimidating to walk at the elementary school where I had to teach some students in Berrien Springs and I would see kids bigger and taller than me.

It was harder to start when I was pregnant or when I became a new mom...not that it's any easier now with three kids. I have just been blessed with great parents who support me.Without them I don't even know how I'd be capable of handling everyday stuff add to that teaching or performing.

Now that some of my former students are either pursuing Masters Degree, about to start College, College students...I realize how young I must've looked like to their parents back then. And I know that most of them had faith in my teaching more because I am my mom's daughter. You see, mom is my very first employer. I'm glad though that I started teaching early but I am also grateful that I had the opportunity to develop myself as a performer by taking post graduate studies. What I am learning most is how my teaching style has evolved because of the influence of my teachers and the master classes I've attended.

I have discovered too that because of some of my weaknesses as a student I have become a better teacher. I'm not the best in sight-reading and am not as outstanding in theory like my brothers but I know that I have the potential in being a great teacher because of the legacy my mom has passed on to me. It will be my greatest accomplishment though to see my kids develop as great musicians but more importantly to grow up as responsible adults who are honest, trust-worthy individuals.

Many of my students now have parents who are about my age...I guess as a teacher, I've become well aware of how time passes me by. Recital after recital, exams, lessons...I have yet to attend a student's wedding though to feel really old. But no matter what, I've come to love teaching. When my kids outgrown wanting to be around me, I'll continue to have children through my music and that's what I'll always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment